Translate this page to your language
Click on the arrows below to find key information and links to Government and community organisation support for individuals during COVID-19. We will update this page regularly.
Phone Support Service
Council has set up a Phone Support Service during the time of COVID-19 for vulnerable people in our community. Vulnerable people may be those who are experiencing social isolation as they live alone and may not have the supports in place to assist with their care and wellbeing.
Council’s Phone Support Service is a free service for residents of the City of Canada Bay during the time of COVID-19. Residents can request calls at their chosen frequency (weekly, fortnightly or monthly) and can be stopped at any time. The purpose of the calls is to assist with social connection, welfare monitoring and linking with essential support services when required.
Residents can sign up to this service by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling our customer service centre on 9911 6555.
The Salvation Army
The Salvation Army provides a wide range of services, information and support for; problem gambling, money care, legal services, child care, counselling services and more.
Phone: 1300 36 36 22 (Salvo Care Line - 24 hour Telephone Counselling Service)
Chinese Australian Services Society
An organisation that provide services to the Chinese speaking community in the Inner West. Services provided to seniors living in the City of Canada Bay include: Community Aged Care Packages (CACP) targeting Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese seniors who are 70 years old and above; Dementia Day Care Centre, Women’s Group, Indonesian Group, Hua An Seniors Group, Hua Kang Seniors Group, Hua Xing Activity Group, Ashfield Activity Group, Burwood Group and St George Activity Group.
Phone: 9789 4587 (press ‘2’ for reception) Web: www.cass.org.au
Co.As.It. – Italian Specific Services
Co.As.It. has two aims: promote the Italian language and culture in NSW and to assist the growing number of migrants arriving from Italy. Co.As.It. provides Italian language classes to adults and children both during and after school, Italian language resources via our Italian Multimedia Resource Centre, Bilingual storytime for children, customised Italian language classes for business, language certification and professional development opportunities for teachers. In the community services area, Co.As.It. provides aged care services and a wide range of community services, from youth and family to mental health, to problem gambling to many more.
Phone: 9564 0744
Address: 67 Norton Street, Leichhardt, NSW, 2040
Inner West Neighbour Aid
Inner West Neighbour Aid provide social support and home assistance to older people, people with disabilities and carers in the Inner West of Sydney. Our services include home visiting, social outings, supported pet adoptions, assistance with pet/walking/grooming, men’s group, assisted online shopping, garden aid, lawn mowing subsidy and more. Contact Inner West Neighbour Aid for more information.
Phone: 9799 5099
Concord Meals on Wheels
A service that provides home delivered meals to frail aged and disabled people and their carers. They provide monthly centre based meals at Concord Senior Citizens Centre and have frozen food available for sale to the public at their centre.
Phone: 9747 1135
The Gift of Bread
Supports not for profits
Medius Dei Ltd
Lvl 10, 32 Martin Place
Sydney NSW 2000
Ph: (02) 8222 6100
180 Liverpool Road, Ashfield.
Breakfast and Lunch provided.
180 Liverpool Rd Ashfield NSW 2131
(02) 8752 4600
Can Vinnies help people who have been impacted by COVID-19?
Yes. We are still operating our day-to-day services, including providing food, clothing, household items and financial assistance for people struggling to get by. If your personal situation has been impacted the best way to reach out for our support is to call us on 13 18 12.
Australian Red Cross
Australian Red Cross offers a wide range of support for people and communities in times of vulnerability. Seven million dollars has been awarded to the Red Cross to deliver emergency support for people on temporary visas who have no way to support themselves and who have urgent needs. To request help, you can email them at email@example.com. They will then be in touch to see if they can assist with emergency payments, food deliveries, crisis accommodation costs or other support.
Phone: 1800 733 276
The Federal Government has setup a dedicated COVID-19 page for individuals seeking financial advice during the pandemic. Visit to learn more: https://moneysmart.gov.au/
The Office of Local Government has prepared this fact sheet to provide key information to seniors who are self isolating.
You can call Service NSW 24/7, 7 days a week for further information on 13 77 88.
- Red Cross - COVID Connect: 1800 733 276.
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm Phone support service for adults with a focus on social and community connection.
- Dedicated Interpretative Services Team (12 languages) and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Support Team. Launched on 24 April 2020.
- Lifeline Australia: 13 11 14
- 24 hour telephone crisis support and suicide prevention
- Suicide Callback Service: 1300 659 467
- Kids Helpline: 1800 551 800
- Online telephone and counselling for young people
- Beyond Blue: 1300 224 636
- 24/7 support line and chat line available
- Transcultural Mental Health Service:
- Mental Health support service
- Link2home: 1800 152 152
- Provides 24/7 referral to accommodation and homelessness services
- 1800RESPECT: 1800 737 732
- National Sexual Assault, Domestic Family Violence Counselling Service
- NSW Ageing and Disability Abuse Helpline: 1800 628 221
- 9am – 5pm, Monday – Friday
- NSW State Emergency Service:
- School education resources to assist with planning and responding to natural disasters.
- https:// www.ses.nsw.gov.au/resources-folder/school-resources/
- Official Government ‘Coronavirus Australia’ App
SBS Coronavirus Explained In Your Language:
- Videos explaining Coronavirus in 16 different languages.
Multicultural NSW Translating Services
- Translation and interpreting services in 104 languages and dialects.
Woolworths Priority Assistance Service
Register your intention to claim a Centrelink payment if you’re affected by Coronavirus.
Learn about the Australian Government’s announcement regarding more financial assistance for coronavirus affected job seekers.
$7 million has been awarded to the Red Cross to deliver emergency support for Visa Holders. As per the Red Cross website, they have yet to receive these funds, but they will facilitate the distribution of these funds to vulnerable individuals. These funds are for people on temporary visas who have no way to support themselves and who have urgent needs.
Priority will be given to people at most risk. This includes:
- people who cannot afford basics like food and medicine
- families with young children, people with a disability, people who are experiencing harm, people who are vulnerable to COVID-19, and people with physical or mental health issues
- people who cannot access Centrelink, Medicare or other services
- people with no income, savings or other financial support
Here is some important information about this funding:
These funds are for people on temporary visas who have no way to support themselves and who have urgent needs. This includes food, medicine and crisis accommodation costs.
We have not yet received these funds but hope to increase our existing Emergency Relief and Safety Net program in the coming weeks.
Because of COVID-19, we will not distribute funds from our offices, but we will provide assistance by phone and email during business hours.
Who is eligible?
You may be eligible for Red Cross Safety Net support if you:
- are in Australia on a temporary visa
- are in urgent financial hardship
- cannot access Centrelink, Medicare or similar services
- have no income, savings or other financial support (including from family overseas).
Please know that the Red Cross provides assistance based on need. They have to prioritise people with urgent needs, such as families with young children, people with a disability, people who are experiencing harm, people who are vulnerable to COVID-19, and people with physical or mental health issues.
How to apply
They will advise when they have the funds and arrangements in place. In the meantime, you can email them at firstname.lastname@example.org
Once you have requested help, they will speak to you and see if they can assist with emergency payments, food deliveries, crisis accommodation costs or other support.