The City of Canada Bay is dedicated to supporting local business through the challenges brought by COVID–19.
We are implementing a number of programs from Council's Economic Development Response and are now seeking to establish a taskforce to support industry clusters which are critical to our local economy. Proposed by Mayor Angelo Tsirekas at the September Council meeting, the aim of the taskforce is to examine sector trends and challenges to develop targeted strategies to back our business community. The full Mayoral Minute can be read here (item MM-2, page 8).
The taskforce's objectives are:
- Identify common issues
- Identify local support strategies
- Accelerate and provide targeted local assistance.
- Mayor Angelo Tsirekas (chair)
- Councillors Cr Michael Megna and Cr Marian Parnaby
- Business experts nominated by Council
- Local business community representatives.
Representatives of the local business community were invited to register their interest to be a part of the taskforce. Registrations are currently being reviewed and taskforce members will be announced once a decision has been made.
The sessions will be run virtually, and will be open to the public to observe. Throughout the series, industry experts will be brought in to help develop a customised local recovery program.
Initial focus will be placed on the following sectors:
- Hospitality, culture and events
- Finance and business consulting
- Construction and property
- Wellness and personal care
- The taskforce is not a decision making body of Council, the main purpose is to discuss how Council can support local business and build resilience in our local economy
- Recommendations and ideas from each taskforce session will be reported to Council as minutes
- Council will consider all recommendations and ideas from the committee when the minutes are reported to the Council meeting.
We will provide more information on the taskforce's charter and code of conduct once they are approved by Council.
Interested in joining the taskforce?
Update: registrations are now closed. Applications will be reviewed and taskforce members will be announced once a decision has been made.
We are calling on local business owners and business experts to help establish this taskforce. Complete the form below to register your interest. Council will review all individuals who submit their interest and select the representatives ahead of the first meeting.
To be eligible to apply, you must:
- Live in or operate a business in the City of Canada Bay
- Have a demonstrated connection to and interest in advocating for the local business community
- Demonstrate leadership and collaboration skills
- Have an understanding of and access to communication networks.